Tag Archive | IPL

IPL auction shuns Pakistan stars

MUMBAI: Pakistani cricketers will not feature in the third edition of the Indian Premier League this year after being ignored by franchises at the players’ auction on Tuesday.

None of the 11 Pakistanis who went under the hammer, including flamboyant all-rounder Shahid Afridi, were sold despite their national team being the reigning World Twenty20 champions.

Pakistani cricketers took part in the IPL’s inaugural season in 2008, but were denied permission by Islamabad to play last year due to growing political tensions with India.

Multi-millionaire owners of the eight clubs, who attended the auction, declined to comment on why the Pakistanis were kept out.

But a franchise official, who preferred to remain unnamed, told AFP that he was not surprised.

“We were not sure if the Pakistanis will get visas and we did not want players who won’t be available,” he said. “Besides, there is also the security issue. No one was willing to take a chance.”

Afridi, 29, told AFP from Australia, where he is featuring in the domestic Twenty20 competition, that “Pakistani players were humiliated”.

“We applied for the IPL only on their insistence and not on our own.”

Pakistan’s Sohail Tanvir, who helped the Rajasthan Royals win the inaugural IPL title in 2008, was equally bemused.

“We have been in demand and made a lot of friends in the first edition but this is disappointing that we were first asked to apply and then not included in the bidding,” said Tanvir.

Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) chairman Ijaz Butt said that Tuesday’s snub “depressed” him.

“It is really very disappointing because we cleared all the hurdles in the players’ way (over) visas and clearance… I will definitely talk to IPL chairman Lalit Modi on this issue,” he said.

Of a total of 66 players up for bid, only 11 were sold, with West Indian all-rounder Kieron Pollard and New Zealand fast bowler Shane Bond drawing the highest prices at 750,000 dollars each.

Pollard was picked up by Mumbai Indians, owned by India’s richest industrialist Mukesh Ambani, while Bond went to Bollywood star Shahrukh Khan’s Kolkata Knight Riders.

Another West Indian, Kemar Roach, attracted 720,000 dollars from 2009 champions Deccan Chargers. Promising South African paceman Wayne Parnell was sold to Delhi Daredevils for 610,000 dollars.

The auction was held for cricketers not already linked with any IPL team and was limited to the third edition, which will be held across India from March 12 to April 25.

From 2011 onwards, when the number of teams will be increased from eight to 10, a fresh auction will be held for all cricketers for a three-year term.

Other star players who were ignored at the auction were Australian Test wicket-keeper Brad Haddin, England spinner Graeme Swann, West Indian Ramnaresh Sarwan and Bangladesh captain Shakib Al Hasan.

List of players auctioned:

– Kieron Pollard (WIS) to Mumbai Indians for 750,000 dollars

– Shane Bond (NZL) to Kolkata Knight Riders for 750,000 dollars

– Kemar Roach (WIS) to Deccan Chargers for 720,000 dollars

– Wayne Parnell (RSA) to Delhi Daredevils for 610,000 dollars

– Mohammad Kaif (IND) to Kings XI Punjab for 250,000 dollars.

– Eoin Morgan (ENG) to Bangalore Royal Challengers for 220,000 dollars

– Damien Martyn (AUS) to Rajasthan Royals for 100,000 dollars

– Justin Kemp (RSA) to Chennai Super Kings for 100,000 dollars

– Thissara Perera (SRI) to Chennai Super Kings for 50,000 dollars

– Adam Voges (AUS) to Rajasthan Royals for 50,000 dollars

– Yusuf Abdulla (RSA) to Kings XI Punjab for 50,000 dollars.

IPL: Mumbai Indians win toss, bat against Bangalore Royals

IPL: Mumbai Indians win toss, bat against Bangalore Royals

JOHANNESBURG: Mumbai captain Sachin Tendulkar won the tossand elected to bat Sunday against the Bangalore Royal Challengers inthe Indian Premier League.

In good batting conditions at the Wanderers, Bangalore captain Anil Kumble said he would also have batted first.

“It look like a good wicket and we would have liked to bat first and put a bit of pressure, but it doesn’t really matter,” he said.

Bangalore welcomed back Rahul Dravid and also included batsmanWasim Jaffer and fast bowler Dylan du Preez from the team that edged Kings XI Punjab by eight runs in Durban on Friday.

Teams: Bangalore: Wasim Jaffer, Jacques Kallis, Robin Uthappa, RahulDravid, Virat Kohli, Mark Boucher, Roloef van der Merwe, Dylan duPreez, Praveen Kumar, Vinay Kumar, Anil Kumble.

Mumbai: Sachin Tendulkar, Sanath Jayasuriya, J.P. Duminy, ShikharDhawan, Dwayne Bravo, Abhishek Nayar, Ajinkya Rahane, Pinal Shah,Harbhajan Singh, Zaheer Khan, Lasith Malinga.

IPL: Bangalore gets 150-run target from Mumbai

JOHANNESBURG: Mumbai Indians has set 150-run chase for Bangalore Royal Challengers in today’s second match of the Indian Premier League (IPL).

Mumbai captain Sachin Tendulkar won the toss and put his team to bat. It made 149 runs in the allotted 20 overs, losing 4 wickets.

Sanath Jayasuriya and Dwayne Bravo were major scorers for Mumbai who made 52 and 50 runs respectively.

Dylan duPreez clinched three wickets while Roloef van der Merwe got one batsman out for Bangalore Royal Challengers.

All the makings for a classic event

IPL has lived a dream, by shuttling off – a shore all the way to South Africa, for an infant tournament, which is approximately a year old, is not a joke. IPL clout power has managed to make the many critics, who expressed serious doubts about the success of IPL, a mockery of themselves.

It was a stale old news that first two days of IPL tournament was sold – out just within 2 hours, ever since ticket sales begun and recently IPL chairman gave a detailed report of ticket sales, where almost 90 % of tickets have been sold out, for all the matches and hinted it won’t take much time to sell out the remaining tickets.

Lalith Modi also added that, it has certainly asserted the South African public, as one of the best sports loving countries, which has shown grand deference and respect, to a local Indian tournament, with International stars.

IPL authorities have announced that, they will donate some undisclosed amount, to the education of kids in South Africa, which could be unveiled during opening ceremony staged in Cape Town, as courtesy for a country, which lend them helping hand in crisis.

The warm – up match between Cape Cobras and Rajasthan royals, which incited a decent crowd of more than 10, 000 has already hinted the huge expectations and reception, IPL is going, to receive in due course.

IPL has given a huge impetus, to hotel and tourism industry in South Africa, where it has solely garnered around 22, 000 rooms and also has more than 700 people associated with IPL staying directly in South Africa, to paint a success story of IPL.

Meanwhile IPL teams have pruned their players and announced squads, with whom their team would play in this edition of IPL. There were few surprises like axing even some key players like Mohammed Kaif, which could give you aroma of how fierce competition has become. Also Kolkata Knight Riders sprung another surprise, where they announced Brendon Mc Cullum as their captain this edition.

Strategy breaks of seven and half minutes between every 10th over of each innings, has evoked mixed response from critics and experts. While ICC chief official ruled out, such a possibility, in impending world cup, which is going to begin later this June.

IPL has broken all shackles and has defied all gravity of critics, which will manifest in viewers with opening ceremony and matches to pursue it.

Rajasthan Royals face tough IPL title defence opener

CAPE TOWN: When the glitz and the glamour of the build-up to the Indian Premier League makes way for cricket action Saturday, past form will not count for much. Defending champions the Rajasthan Royals could find it tough this time around, starting with their opening clash against Bangalore Royal Challengers in the second match of a double header which gets the five-week, 2009 tournament underway.

Mumbai Indians meet Chennai Super Kings, who were runners-up last year, in the early match.

The relocation of the world’s richest cricket league from India to South Africa means that conditions will be different, with seam bowlers likely to get far more assistance than they did in the inaugural tournament in India last year.

The Royals had an early taste of the Newlands pitch in a warm-up match last weekend when batsmen struggled to play the sort of dominating innings that marked the first IPL.
It is a major blow for the champions will be without all-rounder Shane Watson and left-arm fast bowler Sohail Tanvir, two of the main match-winners for the underdogs who spent the least money on players but carried away the 1.2-million-dollar prize money.

The Royals, who will again be led by veteran Australian leg-spinner Shane Warne, will hope that Indian fast bowler Munaf Patel and South Africa’s Morne Morkel can compensate for the loss of the two stars.

In contrast to the Royals, the Challengers spent big but achieved little in the first IPL, finishing seventh of the eight teams.

They are likely to be an improved side, however, with star English signing Kevin Pietersen leading the team in the only stages of the tournament and tough South African Ray Jennings cracking the whip as coach.

The Bangalore team will be boosted by the signing of Indian batsman Robin Uthappa, while South African fast bowler Dale Steyn is likely to be more effective on his home country pitches than he was in India.

South African all-rounder Jacques Kallis and leading Indian batsman Rahul Dravid will be expected to improve on mediocre performances last time.

The battle between the Mumbai and Chennai franchises should get the tournament off to a cracking start.

Mumbai Indians will be led by Indian icon Sachin Tendulkar, who missed most of the first series because of injury.

Their squad had a pre-season training camp in South Africa under the direction of Shaun Pollock, appointed as team mentor, and fielding ace Jonty Rhodes.

With teams only able to field four non-Indian players, Mumbai have a stronger core of Indian stars than some of their rivals, with Tendulkar and Test bowlers Zaheer Khan and Harbhajan Singh in their squad.

Overseas aces include Sri Lanka’s Sanath Jayasuriya, West Indian Dwayne Bravo and South Africa’s JP Duminy.

Chennai Super Kings were runners-up last year and will again provide a formidable challenge.

Led by the dynamic Indian captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni, they have been strengthened by the signing of England all-rounder Andrew Flintoff, who joins Australian batsman Matthew Hayden, South African all-rounder Albie Morkel and Sri Lankan spin bowler Muttiah Muralitharan in what looks a powerful squad.

IPL to start from April 17 in South Africa

NEW DELHI: After months of speculation, it has been confirmed that South Africa will be hosting the second season of the Indian Premier League, to begin from April 17.

The deal was sealed after IPL Commissioner Lalit Modi met Cricket South Africa CEO Gerald Majola on Tuesday afternoon and South Africa agreed to offer full support to the IPL.

South Africa have also assured top security during the mega event. Durban, Cape Town, Bloemfontein, Pretoria, Johannesburg and Port Elizabeth will be the venues for the second season of the IPL in South Africa.

According to the original schedule, the IPL was to kick off from April 10 but it is being reported that the reason for postponing the tournament is to give the Indian players a breather. India will be finishing their current tour of New Zealand on April 7.

Decision on IPL to be taken soon: Chidambaram

NEW DELHI: Indian Home Minster P. Chidambaram on Wednesday said a decision on the fate of the second edition of the Indian Premier League will be taken soon after the Ministry received feedback from the concerned state governments on the revised schedule.

Desperate to get the cash-rich league on track, the IPL’s top brass held a series of meetings since Monday and submitted a reworked schedule to the Home Ministry on Tuesday. The new schedule has now taken into account the reservations and security constraints of the states hosting the matches.

“The last I heard was on Tuesday morning they submitted a revised schedule. The revised schedule has been sent to all the state governments concerned. We’ve asked them to give their comments and views as early as possible,” Mr. Chidambaram told reporters here.

“Once all the state governments concern give their comments and views, especially with regard to security then we will take a view,” he added.

The schedule was revised for the third time after the Home Ministry had told the organisers that cosmetic changes in the fixture was not acceptable and they would have to finalise the dates in consultation with the state governments.

With less than a month to go for the IPL to get underway, the Home Ministry’s rejection of the second proposed schedule submitted by the IPL organisers has put a question mark on the fate of the tournament beginning April 10.

However, the IPL is keen to hold the tournament between April 10 and May 24, as any postponement would mean that the event has to be shelved till this period next year in view of the crammed cricketing calendar.

IPL not moving from India: Modi

NEW DELHI: Indian Premier League commissioner Lalith Modi on Friday rubbished reports that the Twenty20 extravaganza will move out of the country and insisted that the IPL matches would be held only in India.

However, he said, the schedule of a few matches would be revised due to elections in India and a fresh schedule would soon be released.

Talking with media in Mumbai, Lalith Modi said that 14 cities of India have been selected as the IPL venues and the final schedule would be released next week after reviewing the security arrangements.

He said that the IPL matches would not be played on dates of ballot-counting in India.

The IPL commissioner will hold a meeting at the BCCI headquarters later in the day, after six of the eight host states voiced concerns that they could not guarantee security during the matches.

The revised schedule carries the same inaugural (April 10) and closing dates (May 24). Dates of five games have, however, been changed, to ensure that host cities are not allotted matches two days before and after polling days.

The home ministry had earlier said it would decide on the fate of the tournament only after the states responded on whether they would be able to conduct the matches without asking for central forces.

The terror attack on the Sri Lankan team on Tuesday in Lahore has also compounded the problems for the IPL organisers, who now expect pullouts by many of the foreign players.

Federation of International Cricketers Association chief executive Tim May has already sought a wider role in assessing the security for players during the IPL.

Source : Get.tv

IPL dates to be revised after attack on Sri Lanka

NEW DELHI: Indian government has directed its cricket board to revise the IPL dates in view of security after the attack on Sri Lanka team in Lahore and the IPL commissioner Lalith Modi will announce here today the new schedule.

Following the terrorists attack on Sri Lankan team in Liberty area of Lahore yesterday, the Indian government keeping in view the security concerns has directed the board to revise the schedule of the second edition of the IPL.

India’s interior minister Chidambaram told in a TV interview that due to elections of the Lok Sabha, he had directed to reschedule the IPL because the government did not want to hold IPL matches during the Lok Sabha elections and providing full security to players would be difficult.

The IPL commissioner Lalith Modi said that he is working on the new schedule of the IPL after receiving directives from the government and the revised dates would be announced today.

The second edition of the Indian Premier League was earlier scheduled to be held from April 10 to 24.

Yousuf speaks recklessly for want of knowledge: PCB

LAHORE: Taking strict note on the recent statements of Test cricketer Mohammad Yousuf, Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) Saturday said, Yousuf’s irresponsible statements are caused by his lack of knowledge.

In a statement released via PCB press release here, it is stated, Muhammad Yousuf’s allegations, leveled on PCB, are baseless as PCB is an independent board which mere works following policies laid down by ICC’s Governing Body.

Yousuf is at fault as he unilaterally broke his PCB’s contract by joining Indian Premier League (IPL) without informing PCB, it added.

Meanwhile, former Director PCB HR Nadeem Akram said, Board extended 10 million rupees offer to him on condition to withdraw his IPL contract but he failed to quit playing for IPL, now he is trying to prove himself innocent and PCB blameworthy.

source : jang.com.pk